Re: [gtk-list] Re: gtk slowness?

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Jay Painter wrote:

> > too), things like the popup menus come up very slowly. there isn't any
> > delay written into the code, but it does take a short moment before a menu
> > is popped up on a mouse movement (See the Gimp's Filter menu). is there a
> > specific reason for this? is it anything we can work on/fix?
>
> Here are some explanations/reasons for the menu sluggishness:
>
> 1) Every menu item is 3 widgets -- the menuitem, a alignment widget, and a
> label widget.  A very useful optimization for menu items would be native
> label-only support without the alignment and label widgets.
>
> 2) Because of all the widgets involved, a ton GTK signal handlers are
> called to show the widget.  I havn't profiled GTK signal emmittion, but my
> guess is it's not fast.  There is a proposal in the works which could
> speed up GTK signal emittion (and break absolutely every GTK program in
> exhistance!).

hm, who is in charge for such a proposal?
i'm curious (extremely), in what way do you plan to change the signal
emission system?
hm, there are so mmuch things involved with signal handling/object methods
that i'll better shut up now and wait until i see what you have in mind.
but please extend on this jay!

> Regards,
> Jay

---