Re: [gtk-list] gtk slowness?

> too), things like the popup menus come up very slowly. there isn't any
> delay written into the code, but it does take a short moment before a menu
> is popped up on a mouse movement (See the Gimp's Filter menu). is there a
> specific reason for this? is it anything we can work on/fix?

Here are some explanations/reasons for the menu sluggishness:

1) Every menu item is 3 widgets -- the menuitem, a alignment widget, and a
label widget.  A very useful optimization for menu items would be native
label-only support without the alignment and label widgets.

2) Because of all the widgets involved, a ton GTK signal handlers are
called to show the widget.  I havn't profiled GTK signal emmittion, but my
guess is it's not fast.  There is a proposal in the works which could
speed up GTK signal emittion (and break absolutely every GTK program in
exhistance!).

Regards,
Jay