Rendering hyphens

Hello good people of the list,

I'm writing an application where I need to layout text to quite narrow
columns and I'd like the text to be hyphenated nicely. I added soft
hyphen characters (0xAD) to my text and noticed that Pango breaks the
words nicely when they don't fit the line, but it doesn't render the
actual hyphens. Am I doing something wrong (like using the wrong
character in my text for the soft hyphens) here or is there some
setting that would make Pango render the soft hyphens when they are
used to break a word?

Thanks in advance,
Juha