text selection

Hello,
I am new to the pango api. I want to use pango to draw text(-boxes) with cairo (GUI for gaming). The textboxes are displayed to the screen and the user should be able to select text from the text box with the mouse and put the text curser to any location of the text. The mouse coordinates are available as pixels. Does the pango library provide an interface to do text selections for me? (i.e. a function with the mouse coordinates as arguments which returns something like: "Mouse is at text position X", and then I can access my text string/char array at position X (text[X]) to get the char)

Kind regards
Ulrich