Bold fonts not bold on MAC?

Hi,

I'm in the process of porting libavg (www.libavg.de) from Linux to Mac OS X and I've run into a strange issue with Pango (or fontconfig - I'm not sure). The issue is that I'm not getting any bold fonts. Italics work fine. Creating a font from a bold font description and querying the font's description again gives me a bold description. Paraphrasing the code:

  pango_font_description_set_family(m_pFontDescription,
          g_strdup("Arial");
  pango_font_description_set_weight(m_pFontDescription,
          PANGO_WEIGHT_BOLD);
  PangoFontMap* pFontMap = pango_context_get_font_map(m_pContext);
  PangoFont* pUsedFont = pango_font_map_load_font(pFontMap, m_pContext,
          m_pFontDescription);
  PangoFontDescription * pUsedDescription =
          pango_font_describe(pUsedFont);
  assert(PANGO_WEIGHT_BOLD ==
          pango_font_description_get_weight(m_pFontDescription));

  pango_context_set_font_description(m_pContext, m_pFontDescription);
  PangoLayout *layout = pango_layout_new (m_pContext);
  pango_layout_set_markup(layout, m_Text.c_str(), m_Text.length());

  [Create bitmap etc.]

  pango_ft2_render_layout(&bitmap, layout, 0, 0);

The assert doesn't fire, but the font isn't rendered in bold.

This happens at least with Arial and Times New Roman, I haven't yet tried other fonts. I'm using Pango 1.13.3, freetype 2.1.10 and fontconfig 2.3.1, all compiled from source.

Regards,

  Uli