Re: Accelerators fail when writing non-latin for Firefox (GTK+ 2.0)

Hi Simos,

I don't have experience with Firefox on this, but I have some
experience with Gtk+ and XKB and other programs :)

Yesterday at 23:51, Simos Xenitellis wrote:

> I have noticed that Firefox 1.0 (standard, compiled with GTK+2.0) ignore
> shortcuts when you have setup the keyboard to write in a language
> different to English. For example, I select text in the address bar of
> Firefox, press Ctrl-X but nothing happens.
>
> I have tried with Greek (using XKB). I am running FC2.
>
> 1. Is this a GTK+ 2.x issue or a Firefox issue?

It's most probably Firefox issue: it "grabs" the keyboard, so Gtk+
does nothing with it.  You can check that very simply: try
Ctrl+Shift+Alt+numbers to get Unicode characters (what you can do in
any Gtk+ input field).

> 2. Does it happen to other users as well?

Most probably.  It happens for me for any program that uses Gtk+ and
still "grabs" the keyboard to process events itself (eg. Emacs).

> 3. Should I bother downstream on this?

I doubt they'll care too much about this specific issue.  I remember
Ivan Pascal adding something similar to what Gtk+ does into core XKB
post 4.3.0 time, but I don't know what X version are you using, and
whether this actually works or is it included in X.org.

OTOH, with this should go also support for Gtk+ input methods, so
it's probably something they're already considering in terms of Gtk+
integration.

Cheers,
Danilo