Re: Glib: a Win32 discussion

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Kean Johnston <kean johnston gmail com> wrote:

> Last, but by no means least, is the reliance on "compiled" files, like
> compiled schemas (or in the case of Gtk, icon caches). On UNIX systems where
> things are installed in a universally-accessible location, this isn't a
> problem, but on Win32, where multiple applications could all include their
> own private copies of the DLL's, this is a problem. Fixing this is a bit

the same thing applies to anyone who wants to make a relocatable Unix
"bundle". i've demonstrated that this is entirely possible even
without any win32-style mechanisms, although it breaks when GSettings
has been used by the desktop to specify modules that GTK should load
which are not included in the bundle. the new binary-only packages of
Ardour3 use the bag of tricks i've come up with to make GTK, Glib,
Gdk-Pixbuf and Pango all find files inside the bundle in preference to
any outside of it. it doesn't require any changes to glib, or gtk etc,
but the app has to do some stuff. see fixup_bundle_environment() (the
OS X or linux cases) here:

http://subversion.ardour.org/svn/ardour2/branches/3.0/gtk2_ardour/main.cc

there is some other stuff in there but a good part has to do with
making the bundle self-contained and self-referencing.

> Thank you for your time reading this, and I welcome comments and debate.

i think that this message was too long and contained too many issues.
i believe you'll get more traction if you:

   (a) divide the issues
   (b) file bug reports in bugzilla, and briefly mention them here
   (c) attach fixes where applicable

--p