Building multiple backends on on same system

With the rise of wayland, and perhaps with my html5 backend
(http://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2010/11/23/gtk3-vs-html5/) we will
increasingly be in the situation where a single system will have
multiple versions of gtk+ installed for different backends.

This is handled pretty badly atm. Each app or library that links to gtk+
will have to be recompiled and the binaries duplicated, even if most
stuff don't use weird backend-specific hacks and thus could really be
reused.

In my opinion we should move all the supported public entrypoints to the
core gdk library and make the backend a loadable module. I'm not sure
how exactly we should expose e.g. the X specific stuff, but I think it
would be doable with some kind of loose coupling like an interface.

       alexl redhat com            alexander larsson gmail com
He's an immortal coffee-fuelled senator on a mission from God. She's a
beautiful mute bounty hunter operating on the wrong side of the law. They
fight crime!