Re: Minutes of the GTK+ Team Meeting - 2008-09-23

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 12:12 AM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
> = minutes for the 2008-09-23 meeting =
>
> * Deprecate the H/V split and add orientation instead
> + mitch has a patch deprecating all the H/V classes
> + adds a constructor for base classes
> + defaults can be fixed
> + subclassing is easier
> + change orientation at runtime
> + massive deprecation at branch for 2.90
> + everyone agrees

Hello,
Just because you can make the base class easier to subclass (e.g. Box
without HBox and VBox) doesn't mean you should get rid of the two
specializations. you just have to inline, for each gtk_vbox_ method
the gtk_box_ one

Plus, its a verbosity thing: I like having <VBox> and <HBox> around
when using Flex or XUL as much I preffer having them in Gtkaml i'm
making. (instead of <Box orientation='horizontal'>)

To put it in another way: don't let over-generalization stump on
easyness of use. Do both:)