Re: elastic tabstops implemented for GTK

Hi again, Nick

On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 10:46 +0200, Nick Gravgaard wrote:
Thanks Alex,

The proportional font stuff is really just a nice side effect - this
idea has all sorts of nice implications. Off the top of my head,
imagine a program like ls that outputs a list of directories and
files. At the moment ls needs to be aware of the number of columns of
the console to which it is writing, and then it inserts spaces and
newlines to make things line up. Resizing the console has no effect on
the layout. Now, I haven't gotten round to implementing word wrap yet,
but imagine if ls output a simple tab delimited list of directories
and files instead, and the console undertood elastic tabstops (with
word wrap implemented). Resizing the console would work, as would
programs becomes when simple tab delimited text streams works like
this!

There are many other potential uses too :)

Nick

How is this coming along? Have you opened bugzilla issues on this yet? I really want to start using this!