GTK+ Web site overhaul

Hi,

I recently commented on the mailing list [1] about improving the GTK+
web site so that .html files don't include formatting. The idea was to
make it easier for developers and anyone else contributing patches to
focus on content and not have to worry about style. For a while now, I
have thought that the GTK+ web site is in dire need of updating, to give
it a more professional look and feel.

I spent some time looking into the structure of the gtk-web SVN module
to familiarise myself and formulate some questions, so before I continue:

Cleanups:
=========
• Do we need to reference the GTK+ 1.2 tutorial now even though we
publicly state we don't support GTK+ 1.2?
• We list some applications like GIMP, Dia, etc on the site front page,
shouldn't just link to the www.gnome-files.org? For one thing, Dia isn't
exactly one of the top applications I would list here, mostly because it
doesn't see as much action as GIMP or some of the others.
• The screen shots of GTK+ on BeOS are of v1.3 which is out of date
really, shouldn't this be removed?
• Some of the .html files have executable attributes set, is this
intentional?
• The faq/online_faq_fix script fixes up the .html files to remove the
header/footer .html files (site_top.html and site_bottom.html), we can
remove this if we restyle all the pages.
• The faq/update_faq script operates on gtk-faq.sgml, but I can't find
that file anywhere? Anyone know where this is?
• The gtk_app_{categories|index}.html files seem redundant and if they
are, so is the apps/ directory. Can this be removed?
• The beos/ pages are badly out of date, we should really update those,
especially things like the screen shots which make GTK+ look worse that
it really is.
• The news/ directory doesn't seem to have updated since 2005. Can we
remove this?
• The images/freshmeat/ directory seems completely redundant now. Can we
remove this?
• The images/pink/ directory seems completely redundant now. Can we
remove this?
• The translations page has broken links
(http://www.gtk.org/translations.html), namely the Spanish, Chinese and
Italian links.  Should we update this page? This page is not linked to
by any other, is it still required?
• Can we remove these unused or unlinked (no href) top level .html files?
	∘ setuid.html
	∘ gtk_news.html
	∘ gtk_news_top_10.html
	∘ gtk_app_categories.html
	∘ gtk_app_index.html
	∘ announce.html
	∘ books.html
	∘ gtk+-1.2-NEWS.html
	∘ glib-1.2-NEWS.html
	∘ translations.html
• Can we remove these unused scripts:
	∘ freshmeat_update.sh

Improvements:
=============
• Can we update the look and feel here and give the site a fresh coat of
paint? I was thinking of something similar to other GNOME projects (e.g.
http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/). If we can, then we can
consider removing box_*.html in the top level directory and updating the
scripts that use them.
• Should we consider adding a blurb on the site about Maemo and the
N770/N800 products and how they use GTK+? So far on the site I have seen
little mentioned about GTK+ being usable on a mobile platform.
• It would be nice to put scripts all in a scripts/ directory too so we
keep the content separate, any objections?
• I would like to add MAINTAINERS and README files with all the
important information that is needed for the upkeep and running of this
module. Is there anything that people would want included in here?
	∘ Processes that we follow when releasing?
	∘ Files we continually update?
	∘ Formatting that we should adhere to,
• I was thinking of moving all the announcement pages to a new directory
announcements/ so things are a little cleaner in the root, any objections?

Questions:
• Does anyone else have any further suggestions at this stage?

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2007-April/msg00053.html

Martyn