Re: libglade - bug#163322

Andreas Rottmann <a rottmann gmx at> writes:

> 1) Release 2.4.2 with the offending change reverted, stating that 2.4.1
>    is borked and should not be used
>
> 2) Release 2.4.2 with a new SONAME, stating that 2.4.1 is borked and should
>    not be used
>
> I think 2) is not viable, since the GNOME platform API/ABI rules say
> that you are not allowed to break ABI during stable releases.

Before gtk+ 2.4, this pseudo-program was legal and worked:

   #include <libglade.h>

   toolbar = libglade_get_toolbar (...);

   gtk_toolbar_append_widget (toolbar, some_widget, ...); /* <- uses old API */

Then gtk+ 2.4 was released with a new toolbar API. The program above
continues to work, but adding calls to the new toolbar API to it is
not possible. This means that "the fact that libglade uses the old
API" is part of libglade's API and cannot be changed. In other words,
the libglade change to use the new toolbar API is in fact a libglade
API change.

So I basically agree that option 1 is the correct thing to do.

libglade and glade need to consider the 'old' and the 'new' toolbar
essentially two different widgets, just as they consider CList and
TreeView two different widgets.

Søren