Re: GtkFileSystemGnomeVFS

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 10:13:36AM -0500, Dan Winship wrote:
> I think we *should* force apps that want both gnome-vfs and gtk+ to link
> against libgnomeui, and the rest of the GNOME stack. Otherwise we're
> going out of our way to make it easy for people to write apps that
> superficially look like they're part of the GNOME platform, but then
> completely violate the HIG, ignore gnome-wide settings, etc. (Eg, an app
> that uses both gnome-vfs and another HTTP library might be able to see
> files on a remote server from the file dialog, but be unable to access
> them from other parts of the program because it wasn't using the right
> proxy settings.)

As an author of one of those programs, I sorta agree with your
reasoning.  I just got a bug report from someone asking why my program
wasn't obeying the GNOME proxy settings.  I would use them if I knew a
reliable way to query them that wouldn't alienate all of my anti-GNOME
users!

But I would also like to point out that this situation is already
possible without GtkFileChooser involved.  A GTK2 app that follows the
HIG, uses stock icons, etc. is pretty indistinguishable from a GNOME
app.

--
Evan Martin
martine danga com