Re: GtkFileSystemGnomeVFS

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 18:40, Owen Taylor wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 07:47, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > If every app has to
> > explicitly link to libgnomevfsgtkfilesystem and call functions from it
> > to create vfs-using, then this code should be in libgnomeui (like I
> > initially argued[1]).
>
> I think putting things into libgnomeui would be a mistake in any case;
> this would force apps that just want gnome-vfs + gtk+ to get the
> whole libgnomeui mess, which we seem to be trying to get rid of.

I think we *should* force apps that want both gnome-vfs and gtk+ to link
against libgnomeui, and the rest of the GNOME stack. Otherwise we're
going out of our way to make it easy for people to write apps that
superficially look like they're part of the GNOME platform, but then
completely violate the HIG, ignore gnome-wide settings, etc. (Eg, an app
that uses both gnome-vfs and another HTTP library might be able to see
files on a remote server from the file dialog, but be unable to access
them from other parts of the program because it wasn't using the right
proxy settings.)

-- Dan