Re: GtkTreeView very slow for large lists

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 20:13:03 -0500
John Lindgren <john lindgren aol com> wrote:

Hi,

I am the lead developer of Audacious (a GTK+ based music player).
Lately I have been trying to improve the performance with large
playlists (i.e. on the order of 100,000 entries).  The one remaining
problem spot seems to be GtkTreeView.  I am attaching a simple test
program that creates a GtkTreeView with 3 columns and 100,000 rows.
With GTK+ 3.2.2, the program uses 29 seconds of CPU time before
reaching idle, on a 2 GHz Core 2 Duo.  (GTK+ 2.24.8 is considerably
better, at 10 seconds, but still too slow for practical use.)  Is
there any way that GtkTreeView can be made usable for such long lists?

I only briefly read the other replies, so maybe I'm repeating something
here. One thing I remember that can speed things up drastically is to
only associate the model with the tree view once it has all its data.
AFAIR, populating the model while it's linked to the tree view slows
things down quite a bit.

  - Jannis