Re: "Program Files" folder

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:00:41PM +0100, John Emmas wrote:

So I guess the question I'm asking is whether or not, by convention,
/usr/local and /usr/local/bin will tend to have universal read, write
and execute permissions.  They do in my distro but there are many
other distros..!

Your distro is quite eccentric.  The usual convention is that mere users
have write permissions to
- anywhere in their homes
- temporary directories (/tmp, /var/tmp)
- a few other places in /var such as /var/spool/mail/$USER
- removable media mounted by the user (if permitted)

That's all as far as files representing real storage go.  You may find
some user-writable âfilesâ also in /dev, /proc and similar places.

Yeti