using select() with gtk_main()

Hello,

I want to write an gtk based app that monitors the serial port and dumps
data to a textview, while at the same time responding to gui callbacks
(classic gtk functionality). So do I need to:

(1) somehow set up a gtk signal handler for the serial port event
(2) use threads and monitor the serial port in a thread that
communicates to main()
(3) use a separate daemon and get the gui to communicate with the daemon

I lean towards option (1) but do not know how to do it at this stage.

Please forgive if this has been asked, the archive is unsearchable right
now.

Thanks,
Kim