mouse wheel scroll in scroll window

I wish to use the wheel on the mouse to zoom in and out on my application. This application involves a scroll window, so I want normal scrolling action when the wheel is used on it's own or a zooming action when you press control and use the wheel. The problem is the scroll window seems to 'take' the scroll event. How can I take the scroll event when the control button is pressed and leave it when the mouse wheel is used without the control key?

Richard Gipps.