Re: gtk-app-devel-list Digest, Vol 34, Issue 25

My $0.02 on your idea...

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 14:37 -0200, Fabricio Rocha wrote:
I think that there could be an official GTK/Glade/Libglade wiki in
GTK.org, with everything we see in the GTK Tutorial and Reference
manuals as its base. And then those same manuals should be updated from
the wiki and distributed in the packages. I am sure that not even my
mother would say "oh my, youÂre a genius!". But I really have no idea
about why a GTK wiki isnÂt implemented yet...

For the tutorial, and a collection of "how-to"/tip&trick things,
excellent idea.  Some of this may already exist in live.gnome.org.

The reference manual, however, wouldn't work so well with this.  The
GTK, GLib, Libglade, and other similar reference manuals are
auto-generated from comments in the source code.  Above various
functions are formatted comments describing the function, and some tool
extracts these and produces the reference manual you see.  My guess is
that the "copy-pasted" things are just undocumented yet public functions
that the doc utilities extract something for so that they have a manual
presence.  Changes to this documentation should be put directly in to
the sources IMO, so that it's easier to keep it up-to-date (if you're
changing a function, and the reference documentation is right there,
it's a tad easier to make sure you keep it updated).

- Michael