"Lazy" GtkToggleButtons

I frequently have the need for GtkToggleButtons that emit a
"toggled"-signal but do not switch state. The signal handler then should
send a toggle request to a server via network. After receiving a
confirmation from the server, I wish to toggle the button from code. I
have not found a way to do so yet. Activating/Deactivating the button in
the toggled-signal-handler leads to endless recursion. Has anybody else
found a way accomplish that?

Stefan