GTK - Proper Way to Code Pipes

Based on suggestions from this mailing list I've implemented a pipe to
pass data from my other processes to the main GTK thread. I noticed
that when writing to the pipe there was a long delay before it was
handled. I'm assuming this is because it was a pending event.

Can someone please let me know if my code to "fix" this (for lack of a
better word) is correct? The code solves my issue and the pipe is read
immediately, I'm not sure if it is the proper way to do it.

[code]
... main processing ...

written = write(status_pipe[1], &var, strlen(var));
gtk_main_iteration();

... continue processing ...
[/code]

Is there a better way to do this? Thanks for any input.