Re: correction in gtk-runtime 2.8.17

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 08:20:08AM -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:

Umm, because this is a list about developing applications using gtk.
The "gtk runtime" is a collection of all the files needed so that an end
user can run gtk applications.  GTK applications are of no value to
anyone without the runtime.  You're confused, no doubt, because the gtk
runtime ships installed by default on almost all linux distros (along
with the developer libraries and headers).  But on MS Windows, end users
have to install the gtk runtime in order to run gtk apps.  Hence people
like Benoit have put together nice packages to make this slick and easy
for Windows users.

This is the appropriate list for this announcement, as it has to do with
app development, not gtk itself.

I apologize I was not clearer.

I understand prefectly what a Gtk+ runtime is *generally*.
However I cannot see the point of announcing

- every Gtk+ runtime under the Sun here (I do not say it is
  wrong to announce Gtk+ packages here, on the other hand
  try to imagine every existing Gtk+ runtime posting
  notification of every update here)

- and especially, `a Gtk+ runtime' without any reference
  which one is it, where one gets it, with no URL, no hint
  what bloody platform it is packaged for, simply nothing

So, if someone announces something, please, please make the
announcements actually *useful*.

Yeti

--
That's enough.