Xlib: unexpected async reply

I think it's better you put some pieces of code so more people can help you.
I'm not an expert, but basically, you should block other threads when you
want to access GtkWidgets, e.g.

gdk_threads_enter()

  gtk_label_set_text(my_label,"my_text");

gdk_threads_leave()

And try to return to GTK as soon as possible when you are inside a callback
or event handler.

A search in Google revealed, this kind of error with Xlib is usually related
to a function that doesn't return or makes too long before return.
Some parts of the Xlib are implemented as synchronous (message queues, for
example) and this error occurs when an asynchronous signal is received while
processing in synchronous mode.

Try to find if you are returning from all of your callbacks.

Best regards!