meta data

Following the Multiple Views example from the gtk-demos I'm able to save
the text buffer to-from a file.

Also, using the example, I can create a gtktexttagtable, and use this to
alter the appearance of the textview.

My question is: Where is the metadata held to  describe which tags are
to be used where in the text view?

Can this metadata be saved so when you open the application again the
textview has the format alterations from the last session?

This must be simple but I can't see where it is in the API, or demos.
Any hints, ideas, or pointers to example code, appreciated.

TIA.

Regards,

Ashley