Current notebook label

Im new and have been trying to figur eout how to grab the label of the current notebook on a "switch_page" signal. I want to use a label instead of page number incase I decide to switch the tabs around.

report() is my function to show error messages. (repdia = REPort DIAlog)

my notebook is created with the label variable:label
should I be using different variable names for different tabs?
how can I get the current label text value?

thanx

code:

static void report (const gchar report[50])
{
      GtkWidget *label;
      GtkWidget *rep;
      GtkWidget *repdia;

    repdia = gtk_message_dialog_new (GTK_WINDOW (window),
(GtkDialogFlags)(GTK_DIALOG_MODAL | GTK_DIALOG_DESTROY_WITH_PARENT),
                                   GTK_MESSAGE_INFO,
                                   GTK_BUTTONS_OK,
                                   report);
 gtk_dialog_run (GTK_DIALOG (repdia));
 gtk_widget_destroy (repdia);
}

static void noteswitch(         GtkNotebook *notebook,
                                           GtkNotebookPage *page,
                                           guint page_num,
                                           gpointer user_data)
{
char grr[20];
int a=1,b=10,c;
//report(itoa(page_num,grr,b));
report(gtk_notebook_get_tab_label_text(notebook, lookup_widget(GTK_WIDGET(page),"BITTORRENT")));

//text = gtk_notebook_get_menu_label_text(notebook, GTK_WIDGET(page));
//printf("Label: %s\n", text);

//gtk_label_new("BITTORRENT")
//report(gtk_label_get_label(gtk_notebook_get_menu_label_text(notebook, (page)));