Blocking signals

    I would like to write a generic routine that will set the value of a
GtkHScale, for example, without it triggering a signal.  I have used
g_signal_handlers_block_by_func() before, but that requires that I know the
function name.  If the routine is generic, I would have a pointer to the
GtkHScale but I don't know exactly which one it is.  Therefore, I don't know
the name of the specific signal handler to block.  So, is there a function
that I can call that will block all signals from being emitted by a widget
while I change the value?

Thanks,

Nathan