Re: Advice about gtk+2.4.x or gtk+2.6.x

Do what Mac OS X developers do.  Apple updates Cocoa/Carbon with every
release leaving all the new features only for the most current OS.

use gmodule api to weak link to the function in the library and call
it based on the running gtk+ library installed on the users machine.
Then if they have that function call it.

If your app can be compiled on the updated system instead, just use
#if GTK_VERSION > 2.6 #endif and go from there.  the GTK_VERSION macro
is wrong... search the headers to find the right on :-)  but hopefully
you'll get the idea.

-Matt