rendering text to drawable

Hi,

I just wanted to render some simple strings to a drawable (a pixmap)
and it seems it requires massive amount of work and code just to get a
few characters on the screen. I am talking about the "new" way of
rendering text - through pango. I have to create many structures and
fill many fields just to get a plain simple text rendered (which still
I didn't manage to do since I gave up after I spend way too much time
on that than I wanted). How do I do it with minimal work?
Any examples would be most appreciated. I managed to get what I want
working with gdk_draw_string() but that's deprecated, so I don't want
to use it. Thus the question is: how to achieve the same results with
pango, i.e. get a text on the screen with 2 lines of code and without
gazillion objects.

regards,
mati