Compile errors with GtkGLArea

I'm trying to use GtkGLArea. When I compile my application, I get this warning when I try to use the GTK_GL_AREA macro:

warning: implicit declaration of function 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE_CAST'

And then it starts spitting out syntax errors. I grepped for G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE_CAST in my headers, and found it in /usr/include/glib-2.0/gobject/gtype.h. Including this file gives me a whole bunch of other errors, though. At the top of gtype.h, it #errors if it's included directly, and says that I should include <glib-object.h> instead. This doesn't do much better, though.

I've also tried a really ugly hack where I copied all of the relevant information from gtype.h into my source file. I got it to compile like that, but it gave me a segfault on startup.

I've searched pretty extensively on the Internet, asked around on IRC, looked through documentation... Nothing helpful. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Alex Diener