connecting to signals

I seem to be having problems connecting to signals

I am trying to connect to a scrolled window and get a scroll event to
run my function.   Here is some code from an example program I was
adding to.

    def scroll(self, widget):
        print >>stderr, "got it"

    def __init__(self):
        # Create a new dialog window for the scrolled window to be
        # packed into.
        window = gtk.Dialog()
        window.connect("destroy", self.destroy)
        window.set_title("ScrolledWindow example")
        window.set_border_width(0)
        window.set_size_request(300, 300)

        # create a new scrolled window.
        scrolled_window = gtk.ScrolledWindow()
        scrolled_window.set_border_width(10)

        # the policy is one of POLICY AUTOMATIC, or POLICY_ALWAYS.
        # POLICY_AUTOMATIC will automatically decide whether you need
        # scrollbars, whereas POLICY_ALWAYS will always leave the
scrollbars
        # there. The first one is the horizontal scrollbar, the second,
the
        # vertical.
        scrolled_window.set_policy(gtk.POLICY_AUTOMATIC,
gtk.POLICY_ALWAYS)
        hadjustment = gtk.Adjustment
        vadjustment = scrolled_window.get_vadjustment()
        id = scrolled_window.connect("scroll-child", self.scroll)
        print >>stderr, "id"
        print >>stderr, id
        # The dialog window is created with a vbox packed into it.
        window.vbox.pack_start(scrolled_window, gtk.TRUE, gtk.TRUE, 0)
        scrolled_window.show()

I have tried connecting to several signals from scrolled windows,
textviews and never receive the signal when any scrollbar is moved.

Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

--
Brian <dol-sen telus net>