how can i get the text off a treeitemwithlabel widget

i've looked thru 3 of my books and several seemingly pertinent .h files, but i can't find it. i tried gtk_label_get, it didn't work.

i was also wondering if there was someone who would be willing to look at and critique the beginning substructure of the file manager program i'm trying to write. it's my first foray into gtk and first major non-school-related program.

thanks,
philip