gtk_widget_hide(menu) and accelerators gone missing (Glade generated GUI)

Hi everyone,

Sorry for asking but this one looks like it's going to take some time to solve on my own alone. Basically I'm hiding my application menu (by hiding the Glade BonoboDockItem via gtk_widget_hide())
and it disables all menu accelerators in the process.

Is there a way to hide the menu and still have it process its accelerators?

Note: Resizing it won't work and I can't just 'mask' it I really need to be hidden.
        Maybe hiding the menubar (the GtkMenuBar) might solve the problem but
        I can't find a clean way to retrieve it.

Thanks