text width

Hello.

I want fit text in windows.
So I found the most long string in captions on my window,
and resize my window to this width.

gint max_str_width=
  gdk_string_width(gtk_style_get_font(window->style),
                     the_most_big_str.c_str());

But every time I got the same   max_str_width.
Font is different, but  max_str_width the same,
and text didn't fit in my window.

In documentation I read that this way of determining text
width is deprecated.

But there are no links to the new way of determining text width.