Stuff I want to do with a combobox

I haven't been able to find example combo box code anywhere, a grep -r combo
in the gtk examples dir (comes with gtk src) turns up nothing. I got the basics
down but am still left with plenty of questions.

For starters I want to stick in a row separator, but I'm using gtk 2.4
and don't have gtk_combo_box_set_row_separator_func () to call, any ideas?

When the combo box has the focus I want the user to be able to type letters
and have items be selected. I figured out I can do this by paying attention
to the key-press-event but I need some sort of timing mechanism to two rapid
succesion key presses work as expected (so 'a' 's' doesn't select something
starting with s) whats gtk got to help me here? Also I'm lazy so if anyone
has already written code to do this I would love to start there :) In fact it
would be great if at some point in the future this functionality was added
to gtk.

Speaking of improving gtk combo boxes there is one thing about gtk combo
boxes I can't stand! If your combobox is near the top or bottem of the screen
it doesn't position itself so you can see all the items. For example say your
combobox is near the top of the screen and you have selected the item at the
very bottem of your list of choices. Now when you click on the combobox you
can't see the choices near the beginning of the list without using the arrow.
This is beacuse the combobox is drawn with the currently selected choice
apearing where you click. Is there anyway for an app programmer to change this
behavior? What are some gtk developers thoughts on changing the way comboboxes
are drawn so they work like every other pulldown menu in this regard?

                                                                -hudson lee