Re: pyGTK and subclassing widgets

On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 08:20, Stefan Kost wrote:
hi hi,

sorry if this a bit off-topic. I've received a request to use python (with
pyGTK) for client app development. Currently we use C.
I am absolutely unfamiliar with python (all I know is that code indention
matters ;)).
In out front-end we offten sub-class GtkClasses (like GtkVBox) to use that in
the UI. That allows to spread code over several classes.
Can anyone tell me if that still works when using python. Mean could one
theoretically write a widget in python?
Are there general limmitation one needs to be aware of?

Finally can anyone point me to ressources about wripping own GObject based libs
into python?

Many thanks for answering!

You should come over to the pygtk mailing lists[1].  It is really easy
to subclass widgets in python:

class MyWidget(gtk.VBox):
        def __init__(self):
                gtk.VBox.__init__(self)

Now you have a new class that subclasses the GtkVBox.