scrolling background

Hi.

Is it possible to make a widget with scrolling background without
having to use low-level X functions?

What I have is a custom widget with native scrolling support (like
e.g. GtkTreeView.)  The widget always have a non-style default
background (usually a pixmap) and I'd like this background to be
scrolled as the GtkScrolledWindow is scrolled.  I could change
background pixmap (0, 0) anchor in response to GtkAdjustment
changes, but I can't find which function to use.

Can anyone help?

Paul