Re: Hooking into the input queue(?)

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:15:06 +0000, Jan <jandersen informatica com> wrote:
[...]
I know that in the earlier versions of Windows an application could hook
in to different places in the system, among others the keyboard message
queue, and I assume this is what the producers of this game did. How
would one do the same in Gnome?

I think you are looking for something like this:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-General.html#gtk-key-snooper-install

The prerequisite is that the application in question has to have keyboard forcus
somewhere (i.e. the keyboard snooper approach lets you get key input events
that are delivered to your application before they get delivered to
particular widgets
such as text entries etc.)

I think that to get "global" key input then you have to fool around with
the terminal that X is running in and kind of tee the output, there might be
some kind of inittab entry for that or something.

Cheers,
                                             -Tristan