FontConfig Errors

I get the following errors when my app. is executed:
Fontconfig error: line 1: unknown encoding
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file

My /etc/fonts/fonts.conf file looks absolutely fine, and the LANG and LC_...
variables are all en_US.UTF-8. Though, changing the above variables doesn't
make a difference to the error.

My app. has been built in an environment that has GTK+ libraries built
with --enable-xft as OFF, however, I'm executing the app. in an environment
that has GTK+ libraries built with --enable-xft as ON. Does that matter, If
Yes, Why?

Will appreciate any replies, have been stuck at this for many days now.

-vc