item factory

Hi.

In the "Using Item Factory" tutorial chapter at

  http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/sec-usingitemfactory.html

it is written that

  It [root path] should be unique both for each menu and between
  each program. For example in a program named 'foo', the main menu
  should be called "<FooMain>", and a pop-up menu "<FooImagePopUp>",
  or similar. What's important is that they're unique.

Is it really so?  It seems to me that root path should be unique
only within my program.  Can anyone confirm either statement?

I know that GtkItemFactory is deprecated, but I want my program to
work with any 2.x version of GTK+.  I sometimes fork code depending
on version (i.e. I use GtkComboBox on 2.4 because I like how it
allows to reuse one GtkTreeModel for many widgets), but this is not
the case.  I think I'll stick with GtkItemFactory for menus.

Paul