Rotating antialiased strings

Hi Folks,

I've been working on taking gtkextra-2.0, reducing it to the bare
minimum of 2d plotting functionality, and replacing all the postscript
font stuff with Pango.   Most all of the work was just editing
Makefiles, with a few modifications here and there to remove all the
postscript stuff.

However, I think there's one thing that just won't work when using
pango, and that's rotated text.  The GtkPlot axis labels are done by
manually writing a bitmap, rotating that, and then masking it on top of
the existing image.  This method doesn't work for antialiased fonts,
because you need more colordepth to do the antialiasing.

So is there anyway to rotate PangoLayouts?  Or is there a way to draw a
PangoLayout as a pixmap mask?  Or am I stuck with plain old horizontal
text?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Alex Pavloff - apavloff esatechnology com
ESA Technology ---- www.esatechnology.com
------- Linux-based industrial HMI ------
-------- www.esatechnology.com/5k -------