Re: Static linking in GTK Windows

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 13:13, Gus Koppel wrote:
I haven't tried it yet by myself, but wouldn't there be a way to link all
(required) .o(bj) files of GTK+ into a .exe to make it distributable as a
single file? The .o(bj) files should be obtainable by manually compiling
GTK+ on Windows. I suppose this would require moderate to massive extra
manual effort but isn't that a working way at all?

You could do this, but you probably wouldn't want to, for the reasons
that Tor has already mentioned.

I agree with Roger that "setup.exe"s which install / extract their
contents as tons of files at the customer's harddisks are not acceptable /
desirable in some situations. I would rather put some more effort in
building a completely static binary in a non-standard way, if it's
possible at all. Is

I personally think that using a self-contained zip file that doesn't
need to be installed and can be extracted and ran anywhere is the best
solution.  You could put it all on a self-contained CD (I run gaim this
way).

Michael