problem with gdk_imlib_save_image

Hello,

This is my first post...apologies for ignorance due to inexperience w/gtk...

What's driving us nuts here is that when we link our app statically with
libgdk_imlib.a, then gdk_imlib_save_image does not work for saving
postscript images.  Stepping into the code, it appears that
/usr/local/lib/libimlib-ps.so is not loading -- but dlerror() returns nothing. I don't see any problems with this path or the permissions of the lib, and we
reinstalled imlib so all the libs have the same date.

On the other hand, if we dynamically link to libgdk_imlib.so, there is no problem!!
How the dynamic lib be this different from the static??

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Will Nelson