Preventing propagation of events

Hi all,
        I am writing an application in which I am having a widget(entry,
clist, etc...) contained in a GtkFixed. Both the widget and fixed have their
own 'button_press_event' callbacks. Now when I click on the widget it's
button press callback is called, and after that the event is passed onto the
fixed. I want to stop this propagation of event? How to do that? I have
tried to use return value from the widget's callback but it was not useful.
Are their any other ways to do this? Please explain.
        Thanks in advance.

Amol.