drawing on root window with GDK using pixbufs + a few other questions

Hi, I use Xinerama with two monitors and got fed up with having to create my own wallpapers that stretch across the whole virtual desktop (instead of two separate images loaded in each screen), so I decided to try my hand at GDK/X programming. I got the idea from a Windows utility called Ultramon that allows you to pick a wallpaper for each screen. I figured I could duplicate this behavior in X with GDK and by grabbing some information from the Xserver about the Xinerama config. My initial very rough attempt is here: (note, this is hard coded for two displays)

http://www.raspberryheaven.net/~hannibal/code/xwpset.c

I can successfully grab Xinerama information and seemingly read in two images fine, but nothing happens when I call gdk_draw_pixbuf. I'm totally stumped at this point, being pretty new to anything past basic GTK stuff. What am I doing wrong?

(doing all this on Debian unstable, btw)

Thanks,
James