shared memory trigger

I have a GTK gui tool that monitors values in shared memory of a real time
control application. This application runs at a rate of 60 Hz and we have a
shared memory value that counts the frames. Id like the GUI to refresh at a
user specified rate between 1 and 60 as indicated by the frame counter
value. Rather than using a timeout function which can fall out of synch, is
there a way to add an I/O channel that will trigger a callback every time
the value in shared memory is updated?

I'm currently using the latest GTK 1.2.

Thanks.

Marco Quezada