Re: speeding up GtkTreeView?

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 12:19:58PM +0100, Filip Van Raemdonck wrote:
I think it would be very useful for the two standard treemodel
implementations to have an API to put in a custom underlying datamodel.
Right now those default models are really only useful with small data
sets. Anything serious brings them to their knees.

There are already at least two levels on which you can do a custom
data model:

 - you can avoid TreeStore/ListStore entirely and do your
   own object providing a GtkTreeModel interface

 - you can have a single-column TreeStore/ListStore where the
   column contains a single void* pointing to a custom struct
   (gtk-demo has an example here I believe)

GtkListStore is a linked list, and if you set a string on it for
example it's going to copy the string. So if you stuff copy 8 strings
per row into a giant linked list, it is not going to be fast.

That's why custom models are allowed.

Havoc