Re: gtk is grabbing my input, how do I stop it...

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 06:04:15PM -0400, Al Amaral wrote:
How do I make it stop this behavior?  I've tried making the widgets
insensitive, but that doesn't seem to work...  I don't want to use the
socket and plug mechanism, because of the extra overhead/latency of
forwarding events through the X server, and I really don't want to
have gtk running the show for me, dispatching requests, again because
of the extra overhead, although if I have to I will.

Suggestions?

If you aren't willing/able to dive into the internals of GDK and
figure out what's happening here, I think your approach has no chance
of working.

(I'm not sure it has a chance even if you are willing/able, but in any
case I don't think anyone else will be much help. You're fundamentally
doing something strange that nobody else will have much experience
with.)

You might want to look at the metacity window manager and see if you
could structure the code that way, is the only idea I have.

But really it sounds like you're doing this the hard way. Why not just
have a custom GtkWidget that you then draw to with Xlib code, or
something like that, instead of trying to do this embedding stuff.

Havoc