expose events

when you have an expose event callback are you supposed to return TRUE or FALSE? If I understand the docs on events, if I return FALSE then no more event handlers/callbacks get processed, if I return TRUE then the event gets passed to the next callback. But I notice that if I have a GtkWindow, then add a GtkButton to it, if I return FALSE from the expose callback that I connected to the windows expose signal, I see the effect of the various drawing calls in my expose callback, but I do NOT see the button widget ! However if I return TRUE from my expose callback, I do see the button, but none of my drawing code appears!
Any ideas  - obviously I am doing something wrong, but I don't know what!

Thanks

Jim