Setting a line color

I've got the code working to draw lines on a drawing area based on mouse
motion, and now I'd like to set the line color before drawing the line.
The snippet of code at

  http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/set_color.c

shows what I've tried.

When a mouse button is pressed the code calls gdk_gc_get_values to get the
current GdkGCValues, then builds the GdkColor I want and calls
gdk_gc_set_foreground to set the pen color.  When the mouse button is
released it calls gdk_gc_set_foreground to reset the foreground color to
the saved GdkGCValues foreground color.

The problem is, the line color is still black instead of the orange in my
test.  What am I not doing?

I wasn't sure what to specify for the GdkColor.pixel value, so I tried
setting it to NULL and also not setting it at all, but neither worked.

Thanks,

Bryan

* Bryan Brown      <*>              bbrown radix net
* http://www.radix.net/~bbrown