keyboard-focus for drawing-areas

Hello,

I am new to this list but I searched now for several days in mailing lists and FAQs for the answer of a very
basic and important question:

How can I receive keyboard events for a drawing area?

I know at least the workaround of catching the keyboard events from the main widget and then asking for the
window the pointer is currently in. But this workaround will not work for my application since I have several
drawing_areas and the main application shouldn't know anything about it. Is there a clean GTK solution or can
I use X11-events to circumvent a "GTK-bug"?

Furthermore: Is there a complete and good book about Gtk - a Kernighan/Ritchie about GTK?
Is the GTK-book from Suse a good one (german)?

Greetings
Daniel

WEB.DE MyPage - Ohne Computerkenntnisse in nur 5 Minuten online! Alles
inklusive! Kinderleicht!  http://www.das.ist.aber.ne.lustige.sache.ms/